Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree!

As a young child I had two problems.

1. Everything had to be fair (I remember one time Grandma Biesinger gave us a stack of old bank forms to have and play with. Mom told me to divide them up, so I started, 1 - 1, 2 -2, there were thousands of papers. Mom said, oh no you don't, and took the piles and split them into 2 piles and said, "There, and don't you dare try that again."). Needless to say I heard, "Life's not fair" a whole lot.

2. Everyone got sick, had major surgery, or broke something but me (actually as I am thinking Josh might not have, but anyway). So because of this I came down with the serious disease of hypochondriacism. Every bump, scrape, or bruise was a broken arm, leg, or something. Of course after keeping the arm in a sling or the foot in a brace, it always hurt more after, just like Dad said it would. You have to imagine how to someone who thought that everything should be fair, this one just wasn't working in my favor. However, now as an adult and parent, I am grateful I was so injury free.

Anyway, unfortunately, whether you want to or not, some things are just passed down to the next generation. I find my self telling my oldest, Justin, "Life isn't fair". It is like an echo from the past! Well, his desire to have everything fair trickle's over into illness as well.

First off, Justin hurt his ankle one evening, and didn't want to go to school. I told him he would be ok. Jason told me to go ahead and put a ace bandage brace on it the next day for school. So, I went into the school that morning with him and let his teacher know that he had hurt his ankle, and should take it easy during PE. Well, due to this conversation, he had to sit out all of his PE class (which if you know Justin this was pure torture!). When he got home that day, he took the brace off, and said, "Look at that Mom, the brace helped it feel all better." It was miraculously healed from a brace and no PE.

Justin had missed 2 days of school and Ashley only 1, when Ashley came down with a pretty high fever. Well Justin said it was absolutely not fair that she got to miss school and he didn't. But "unfortunately" for him he had no fever, so he was going to have to go to school. This would their missed days to 2 and 2. The evening Ashley got sick, Justin came into the room complaining about his wrist. Fortunately for him, he chose, um, I mean it was his left wrist, and since he is right handed he could still go to school. It was a horrible pain, too, because it kept traveling from wrist, to fingers, to hand, it was awful. I told him that if he held his hand in a ball it would hurt worse, so of course then he kept it in a ball. So, the next day he went to school, and I once again told his teacher about his "hurt" wrist. Well, Ashley continued to have her high fever the next day, which was pure torture for him. When he got home from school, he took his own temperature, and for a moment he thought he might have a fever (which he didn't). You know, I have never seen a fever heal a hurt wrist before, but you know this was once again miraculous. As soon as he thought he might have a fever and get to miss school the next day he came into me, and stretched his fingers out in front of me and said, "Mom! Will you look at that? I stretched my fingers out and my wrist feels better." However, when he discovered that he did not have a fever and would have to go to school, then he was very distraught and upset.

Well, so goes the hypochondriacism and fairness.

No comments: